In the summer of 1902 a group of about 12 Christians from various local
churches joined together to provide a more spiritual and aggressive work
along the line of the John Wesley standard of teaching. This group met in
the homes of the members for weekly prayer meetings. Evening street
meetings were held and services at the County Jail were held on Sundays.
In 1903 Wigley Hall was leased, and after several weeks of evangelistic
services, and Church and Sunday School were organized under the name
of Racine Holiness Church. In addition to the regular services in the Hall,
the street meetings and jail services were continued. In 1905, this group purchased a lot in the enter of the city, at 513 College Avenue, and erected their own church building. In 1922, under the ministry of Rev. Cox, the Racine Holiness Church joined the Church of the Nazarene under the name of Central Church of the Nazarene with 37 charter members.
The church continued to grow, and under the ministry of Rev. A.C. Olsen, the College Avenue property was sold in 1942. With a grand vision in mind, and a lot of faith on the part of the members, two lots were purchased on the corner of Taylor Avenue and 21st Street for the purpose of building a larger church building. Work was begun in 1944. The plans to complete only the basement were changed later to complete the super-structure and leave the interior unfinished. The basement was finished and dedicated on March 6th, 1949
In January, 1951, under the ministry of Rev. E. E. Young the church voted to continue the finishing of the upper auditorium. This was accomplished with the help of as much donated labor as possible. Since that time many hours of dedicated labor has been expended. Under the providence and help of God, the work was completed in the summer of 1952. The first service in the new auditorium was held on August 3, 1952. The furnishings of the building are, to a great extent, gifts presented to the Church honoring or memorializing a loved one or close friend. The church was officially dedicated on Sunday, October 26, 1952 and named Taylor Avenue Church of the Nazarene.
As the church continued to grow, the facilities of the church for Sunday school classes were found to be inadequate. Under the ministry of Rev. Harold L. Frye, and educational building was voted upon and completed in the fall of 1968. The building is connected to the original building and faces 21st Street. It includes classrooms, a large Fellowship Hall with kitchen facilities and offices. The Educational building was dedicated on October 6th, 1968.
Over the years, additional, adjacent properties have been purchased to make room for more adequate off-street parking. We are now over 110 years old and God continues to help us and bless us with His presence.